Sunday, June 27, 2010

It’s days like these I am overwhelmed by how blessed I am. I have the most amazing husband in the world who always takes the time to remind me daily how loved I am by our Creator and by himself, who takes the time to affirm me again that I am so valued and worthwhile. I have a husband who serenades me in our living room, who I can talk with for hours about the Bible and how we’re going to change the world.

We have wonderful jobs and an apartment to come back to and food to eat and the chance to learn and take classes and work and impact the world…..who am I to deserve this? I was reminded again tonight about how it is not me. It is by the grace of God that I am what I am, that I have what I have and that I am able to do what I am doing. What I have is not my own – the blessings I have are not mine to hold to tightly. I have been blessed for the purpose of blessing others, for the purpose of bringing what God has given me to others to spread His love and grace. I fear the moment I ever begin to forget that. Who am I to ever begin to think that what I have, that who I am, is mine by merit? That I deserve it? All I have, all I have been granted, is to give back to God for Him to give to others through me. As William Wilberforce said, riches are “the means of honoring our heavenly Benefactor, and lessening the miseries of mankind.” I pray I never forget this, that my politics, my personal life, every part of who I am, reflects this awareness that I am not my own and what I have is for God to use.

No comments: