Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Stephen's letter

Following is the letter my husband Stephen wrote to thank everyone who supported us as we raised money to bring a group of his boys to an amazing Christian sports camp called Citikidz. (If you want more of the back story on this, just shoot me an email!) But I think Stephen's letter does a pretty great job of explaining the importance if this camp and why he wanted to take these boys....Also, there's a pretty insightful challenge to all of us at the end. All in all my husband is pretty good with the words, so I thought I'd share. I'm married to a pretty special guy :)


Dear Sponsors (Friends & Family),
First and foremost, THANK YOU! Because of your generosity, seven kids were able to escape inner city DC for a week, travel to a remote summer camp in the woods of southwestern Pennsylvania, and not just hear the gospel of salvation and life to the full, but experience it daily through the love and care of their counselors, intense competitions, activities most had never done before, Bible studies, and evening programs. It costs Citikidz over $600 to bring a single camper to camp, but through the generous donations that individuals and organizations make to Citikidz, they are able to offer a one week camp experience for just $120 per camper. But even this significantly reduced price was too much for the families of the kids I wanted to bring to camp. So, trusting in your character and generosity, I was able to ask my campers’ parents to only pay $40, and hoped that I would be able to raise enough money to pay for the remaining tuition cost ($80 per camper), two rental vans, and gas (and borrow some sleeping bags). Through you, the Lord provided! So, thank you – not only for your donations, but especially your prayers!
It was so cool to be able to bring kids with whom I already have a relationship – four are former students of mine, one is a boy Blythe and I mentor, and two others are friends of the other boys. Each one of these boys comes from a broken home, and perhaps one of the hardest things about camp is bringing them home afterward. Only one of these boys has a consistent father figure, a few have immediate family members in prison, and one boy’s mother got out of a short stint in prison just two days before we left for camp. One boy has spent time in a homeless shelter, at least two live with a grandmother or other relative rather than a parent most of the time, at least two have a parent who is an addict, all of them are at least a year below grade level in reading or math, and all of them live below or very close to the poverty line. But God reminded me of something at Citikidz: if he is big enough to split an ocean in half – if he is big enough to make the lame walk and the blind see and the dead live, he ABSOLUTELY can overcome the tragedies, hardships, and mountains of opposition this fallen world has heaped up against these boys.
 
 
Luke 15:4-6 says “What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he has lost one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the open country, and go after the one that is lost, until he finds it? And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing. And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and his neighbors, saying to them, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep that was lost.’” I am able to say with great joy in my heart that not only did they hear the gospel at least twice a day, I watched almost all of my boys willingly stand up and talk (and cry) to a counselor about salvation and make the commitment to follow Christ at one of the evening programs. I sobbed as I felt so overwhelmed by both God’s willingness to use me in their lives, and God’s gift of knowing that the seed of the Gospel was firmly planted in their hearts. I now ask you to join me in praying that this seed finds good ground now that they are home.

 
What these boys need now is the Church. Big C. They do need a church – a community of believers digging into Scripture, holding each other accountable, doing good works, and making disciples. But unfortunately, most of these boys do not have a church to which they belong, and do not have parents who are willing to commit to a church every Sunday. And many of the churches they would typically attend are not biblically sound. So, they need the Church. And not just my seven boys, but youth in general – especially inner-city youth. They need Christians who are willing to step outside their comfort zones and build relationships with people who are very different from them. They need Christians who are willing to give up their time, energy, and comfort to do what Jesus COMMANDS us to do for “the least of these” in his very sobering parable of the sheep and goats in Matthew 25. They need Christians who will not make excuses of why they can’t help, but rather find any way possible to help and be involved in their lives. Mentorships, afterschool programs, volunteering in classrooms, coaching, leading youth groups, joining YoungLife or other Christian youth organizations, and bringing a group of inner-city youth to Citikidz are all great ways to live out the Gospel in the lives of kids. While giving financially is certainly needed and an important part of living out the Gospel, we need to be giving ourselves – our time, our comfort, our energy, and even our homes.
So thank you again for all you’ve already done for my boys, and I pray that this email and the testimony of what God has done in my boys’ lives – the way He has so clearly moved mountains and so clearly wants to continue to do so – will motivate you as it has me to continue to get outside our comfort zones and give of ourselves for the children God loves so dearly.
 
In that same hour, [Jesus] rejoiced in the Holy Spirit and said, ‘I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you have hidden these things from the wise and understanding and revealed them to little children; yes, Father, for such was your gracious will.’” Luke 10:21


 

No comments: