Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Nostalgic flashback....

When I was running yesterday, I ran by a park where one of those little kids soccer leagues was practicing, with a few dedicated dad coaches doing their best to wrangle them into formation. As I passed, I heard one of the dads say, in an exasperated voice, "Guys, try not to poke each other...." Haha it made me laugh and instantly transported me back to my own little kid soccer days, and my own dad who came multiple evenings after work, I'm sure already weary, to stand for a couple hours and try to teach crazy little kids how to kick a soccer ball (and I STILL have zero hand-eye coordination...so I can't imagine me as an 8-year old...). Though watching those dads and kids made me laugh, it also made me want to say to them, and my dad again (and mom): thank you for doing this. To all the weary moms and dads who are at their kids' practices and meets and everything else - thanks for showing up. I've seen personally in my own life, and in the lives of so many over the past few years - it makes a difference.

Stephen and I don't yet know a lot about parenting, but we know we want to just be PRESENT. We're going to be there, we're going to show up, we're going to let our kids know how loved and valued and important they are to us. And we're going to teach them to love and invest in those around them in a similar way. We can't wait.

No comments: