Thursday, October 6, 2016

We cannot grow weary in this time

I am neither a Republican nor a Democrat. I identify as neither a "liberal" or "conservative." I am a follower of Christ, first and foremost. Before my proud identity as an American, before my natural personality leanings toward progressivism or conservatism, before my personal fears or preferences - this is my identity. A follower of Christ, above all else.

This determines how I live - how I shop, how I eat, the environment in my home, my marriage, how I will raise my children, my care for animals, my politics. I happen to be particularly passionate about the tool of government that God has given us to further his justice and redemption in this world, and love talking politics and policy. I am a big-picture, systemic think who sees incredible potential in our democratic system to use the power God has given each of us to push for policies that further his Kingdom on this earth.

Right now a lot is broken in our culture and our political system. But we aren't called to remove ourselves and give up. As followers of Christ especially, it is our calling to speak hope and life and vision into this brokenness, to help bring change where needed, and continue the work of furthering Christ's goodness, his justice, his redemption through the effective means of policy. This is an area where our voices MUST be heard. God's calling for us is to be present in ALL areas of society and culture - including in government and policy-related areas - bringing more of his Kingdom to earth, moving things forward to the way they should be. Then one day He will return and make ALL things new. Till then, let's not grow weary or give up. Let's live out our calling.

I am really,really thankful for the way my friend Michael and others are doing that through this new space, Public Faith. This is a space that can help us think through our calling to use our voices to shape government and culture and policy; a space that will hopefully help bring some clarity to our current atmosphere and what the way forward can look like. I encourage everyone to check it out.

No comments: