Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Into the early morning of November 8th.

"You can build walls all the way to the sky and I will find a way to fly above them. You can try to pin me down with a hundred thousand arms, but I will find a way to resist. And there are many of us out there, more than you think. People who refuse to stop believing. People who refuse to come to earth. People who love in a world without walls, people who love into hate, into refusal, against hope, and without fear. I love you. Remember. They cannot take it." (Lauren Oliver)

Tomorrow there are going to be a lot of hurting people, a lot of children with dark skin who are afraid, a lot of parents not knowing what is next for their families, a lot of anger, a lot of uncertainty. So tonight I am more determined than ever to wake up tomorrow and love harder than ever before - love like I live in a world with no walls, love in a way that pushes down boundaries. I'm determined to defend the vulnerable and overlooked more fiercely than ever before, to stand steadfast in the face of injustice and hate, to be brave and kind and humble. To further peace and integrity and character. To run after the left out and unheard, as Christ runs after us. To protect the foreigner and minority, to seek equality and justice with all that I am. To further the Kingdom. To listen, to believe, to hope. To help forge a new Way, bring Christ's Gospel of reconciliation and redemption into every corner of our broken society. We as the Church have a lot of work to do - in the coming years, our country will need us more. Though it may be hard going at times, my friends, though it may cost us something - onward and upward, steadily.

To those who are afraid, who are hurting, who feel scared tonight - "I love you. Remember. They cannot take it." You are seen, you are heard. I have your back, always.

No comments: